Portland Public Schools (PPS) Students and Families
Registration Deadline: February 15, 2019
Please review the following information in order to register for May 2019 AP® (Advanced Placement) exams.
Read carefully as policies and procedures have changed for the the 2018-19 school year. (If you are not a PPS student but would like to take an AP® exam, please contact Anna Lortz at the PPS District AP® office: 503-916-3517.)
Any students who missed registration in February can check back here March 2-9. NO orders will be accepted after March 9.
- Morning exams. Doors open at 7:15; Check-in begins at 7:30; Exams end at approximately 12 pm.
- Afternoon exams. Doors open at 11:15; Check-in begins at 11:30; Exams end at approximately 4:00.
- Students are not allowed to leave any AP® exam early. Students who have after-school sports or jobs are responsible for informing coaches or employers of their AP® exam obligations.
- Late Arrival – Students who arrive after the start of the exam administration will not be admitted.
- Absence – All absences from AP® exams will be reported to your high school. If you miss the exam for College Board approved reasons, you may be able to take a late exam.
- AP® Spanish Language and AP® Music Theory may run later than noon due to audio recording requirements. Please bring an extra snack.
- Most AP® Exams will take place at the Portland Expo Center, 2060 N. Marine Drive, Portland, OR 97217- conveniently located on the TriMet MAX Yellow Line.
- AP® Chinese and AP® Japanese will take place at the PPS Administration Building: 501 N. Dixon St, Portland, 97227, Wy’East Room on Floor L1.
- Students testing a College Board approved accommodation will take their exams at their high school.
WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND that students are dropped off, carpool or use TriMet.
~ Allow sufficient time for traffic in order to reach the test site before check-in begins. ~
Students parking at the Expo Center will receive a free parking voucher at the end of the exam.
REGISTRATION: You must complete online registration between December 10, 2018 and February 15, 2019 to be able to participate in AP® testing. AP® class participation does not guarantee you a testing spot.
- Permission: You and your parent/guardian will need to provide an electronic signature agreeing that:
- You have permission to travel to/from the off-campus testing site.
- You will adhere to test security regulations as laid out in the guidelines by PPS on this registration website as well as in the College Board’s Bulletin for AP® Students and Parents.
- You have read and understood all the registration policies set forth on this site
- Registration is mandatory: Students will not be allowed to “walk-in” on the day of an exam for which they have not previously registered. You MUST register by February 15th, 2019.
- To register for two exams offered on the same date, complete the registration form fully and submit payment. The student will be contacted by APTS to alert them which of the two AP® Exams they have been assigned to for an alternate date.
- Students may not sit for both AP® Calculus AB and BC in the same year. Select carefully.
- Be careful when registering for English LANGUAGE or English LITERATURE. Choose the right one. Check with your AP® Teacher if you are unsure.
PAYMENT: Exams must be paid for in advance. Registration is incomplete until payment is received.
- Cost: Each exam is $72 (AP® Seminar is $120).
- Credit or Debit: Pay online using this system.
- Check or Money Order: Follow directions using this system and mail payment to address provided in confirmation email. (Must be postmarked by February 8, 2019.)
- Cash: Submit cash to your school’s bookkeeper by February 8, 2019.
- No refunds are possible once exam registration is complete and payment is received.
FEE WAIVERS: For students who need a waiver, the fee is $0 per AP® test.
- Please see your school’s Advanced Placement Coordinator to obtain your Fee Reduction Code. You must have a photo ID to obtain a fee waiver. The deadline to obtain a fee waiver is February, 8, 2019 by 3:00 PM.
- Once you receive your fee waiver code, you will be able to register on the APTS website for the reduced amount. You must register by February 15, 2019.
- Unapproved code usage will result in cancellation of the exam order until full payment is received.
***Depending on the type of fee waiver received, students may be charged the unused exam fee if they do not attend and complete their AP® exams.***
BEFORE THE EXAM: ALL PPS STUDENTS REGISTERED FOR AP® EXAMS MUST ATTEND A MANDATORY PRE-ADMINISTRATION SESSION in April at their high school. This process saves time and stress on exam days.
DURING THE EXAM: Please bring the following:
- Your photo ID (either a government or school-issued photo ID)
- At least two sharpened #2 pencils with erasers (mechanical pencils are not permitted)
- At least two black or dark-blue ballpoint pens for free response (highlighters and white-out are not permitted)
- A graphing calculator for Biology, Calculus AB/BC, Chemistry, Physics, and Statistics (see calculator guidelines at www.collegeboard.com/ap/calculators). Students may bring 2 calculators but are not permitted to share calculators during the exam. Make sure your calculator has fresh batteries.
- Ruler or straightedge (for the Physics exams only)
- Snack and water in a clear Ziploc bag kept separate from purse or backpack
- Warm clothing for layering
Note: You will NOT have access to your purse or backpack at any time during testing, including break.
Electronic equipment (phones, smartwatches, or wearable technology of any kind, laptops, tablet computers, Bluetooth devices, portable listening or recording devices—MP3 player, iPod®, etc.—cameras or photographic equipment, devices that can access the internet, separate timers of any type, watches that beep and any other electronic or communication devices) are prohibited in the exam room and break area.
If a student uses or is seen with any of these electronic items in the testing room or during the break, they will be confiscated and the student will be dismissed from testing. If a phone, watch or other electronic device rings, vibrates, beeps, etc. in the exam room during the test, it may invalidate EVERYONE’S test in the room.Ready to Register for AP® Exams? Click Here
- AP® Exam Calendar (and Locations)
- AP® Exam FAQs
- AP® Exam Test Site Information
- Register for AP® Exams
Questions or need assistance? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org